Academic vocabulary is a priority for everyone, but especially ESL teachers. This file contains 15 weeks of academic vocabulary taken from the grade 5-8 CCSS ELA academic vocabulary lists. Each week has:
1. a graphic organizer with 5 words, pictures for each word, and columns for the definitions and an example sentence
2. half page wall displays for each word containing the word, part of speech, definition, picture, and example sentence
3. word wall cards for each word containing the word, picture, and an example sentence
4. vocabulary / spelling quiz: students write the words you say and then a definition for each word, another section asks them to use to the words to complete the provided sentences, finally students are asked to write their own sentences using the words; each quiz (week 2-15) includes one review word from the week before
5. answer keys for the defintions and weekly quizes
I use these sets in my class by displaying the week's words using the half page posters posted on clipboards next to my word wall. I change the posters each week but the word wall is cumulative and I do not take down the cards after we finish. I leave the word wall cards up (along with our vocabulary from other subjects) and we use a word wall spinner to continually review them.
Each day we discus the new word, write the definition on our graphic organizers, and practice using it in a sentence. On Friday the students take their graphic organizers home for the weekend to study and on Monday we take the quiz over the previous week's words.
For more vocabulary practice: