Geography | Earth Day Project | Creating a 501c3 | Real-World Activity
The Compassion Project | Facing Needs Around the World
Students learn through play or reenactment — yes even when they are older and in middle school or high school. This lesson has students work in cooperative groups to identify an educational, health, human or environmental need around the globe. As if in real-life circumstances, students come together to create a non-profit 501c3 with a purpose or mission on solving this world issue. It may range from animal cruelty issues to lack of resources like water to deforestation, etc.
Each team will work to combat an issue in one of the following categories:
° Animal Cruelty & Endangered Species Issues.
° Plant & Environmental Issues
° Human & Social Issues
- The learner will understand the difference between pity, sympathy, empathy, and compassion.
- The learner will research human, educational, health, environmental, and social issues throughout the world.
- The learner will work to plan and create a non-profit compassion organization to help the cause and issue.
- The learner will work with his/her team to create promotional material for their non-profit 501c3 organization.
- Compassion Goes Beyond Sympathy and Empathy (Compassion Wheel)
- Technology to display various Compassion Wheel, Compassion Organizations Websites, and introductory video.
- Whiteboard/Blackboard on which to write.
- Wall Signs: Animal Cruelty & Endangered Species Issues, Plant & Environmental Issues, Human & Social Issues, and Other.
- Compassion Organization Planning Guide.
- Computers, environmental magazines such as National Geographics.
- Paper, posters, markers, pencils, erasers, rulers, glue, scissors, etc.
- Guiding questions
- Suggested YouTube videos
- Compassion Wheel
- Detailed teacher instructions with intro, procedure & closure
- Wall signs for intro activity
- Student instructions: How are You Going to Make a Difference?
- Examples of mission statement & logos
- How to Create Your Non-Profit planning graphic organizer
- Compassion Activity Choice Board
- Guardian permission slip (if needed for YouTube, Instagram, FB)
- Mockup of a 501c3 application
- Grading Rubric
- Mockup letter of tax exemption approval letter.