Take your students on a journey to discover how Texas went from a rural society to an Urban one with this highly engaging simulation. This is an extremely powerful lesson for students. They will complete a map through a series of rounds that will lead them to understand the urbanization of Texas. Students LOVE this game.
1. The Demand for cattle after the Civil War
2. The railroad leads to the expansion of the Cattle Markets
3. The extension of the railroad into Texas
4. The Red River War and removal of Native Americans
5. The destruction of the buffalo herds
6. The spread of Ranching
7. The closing of the open range
8. The invention of the Telegraph & improved communication through Texas
9. The practice of fencing in pastures with barbed wire
11. Railroads lead to more towns and an increase in population
12. The expansion of industries such as lumber, sawmills, & meatpacking
- Google Slideshow (editable) which walks students through each round of the game
- map key (symbols to add to the map - editable)
- Slides with video links or sound effect links.
- Exit ticket
Check out Teaching History Creatively for more resources.