5e Explore Investigation designed for the NGSS MS-PS3-5. This is an explore task I give in a unit in first quarter in 8th grade. At this point students have some experience with designing an experiment but often need scaffolding to complete the task successfully. In this lab I provide students with some guidance in the identification of the variables and give a partially titled data table for them to use
Comes with two versions, one for students to write on and a shorter class set that can be reused if students record answers in an interactive notebook or on loose leaf to turn in.
Before doing this task my students will have done an engage activity involving falling dominoes and also have done some reading about types of energy. My students should have notes about what is a system, and examples of types of energy. Students may or may not be familiar with potential energy, kinetic energy, elastic energy and systems so these are things to check for in your oral formative assessments while students are doing this task.
I have given an example of an answer key with suggested answers. However, I use this more for explore and formative assessment.
Designed for the NGSSMS-PS3-5 Construct, use, and present arguments to support the claim that when the kinetic energy of an object changes, energy is transferred to or from the object.
- Cover and TOU (2 pages)
- Lesson Planner, Teacher Notes, and Suggested Scaffolding for Students (PDF) (2 pages)
- Investigation Worksheet 2 versions
- Version A is a students handout/guide they can write answers on (2 pages) PDF
- Version B is a class set that requires students to write answers in a notebook or on other paper (1 page) PDF- Good for teachers with photocopy limits.
- Answer Key (PDF) (2 pages)