Set of worksheets and a graphic organizer for helping students analyze data and use it to create a scientific explanation. Supports lessons for NGSS SEP: Analyzing and Interpreting Data, and Constructing Explanations.
I have created six worksheets using the graphic organizer with data from labs done by my classes. In the NGSS it is important the students work with larger sets of data and that they understand how to deal with the natural "messy" data that most scientists have to work with. I use the organizer with my students after I collect the class data in a spreadsheet and use it to make a larger data set for students to analyze as a weekly graphing practice. This also gives us the opportunity to talk about experimental design, trends in data and to work with larger data sets.
You can use these examples with your students even if they haven't done the labs, but you might need to give them some background about the topic or time to "read" the graph. however, this is like many state testing situations so it is is good practice to have to do a "cold read" of a graph.
- Cover and TOU (2 pages)
- Teacher Notes (4 pages)
- 6 Examples of Graphs Based on Class Lab Data with Answer Key (22 pages)
- For each example I updated the worksheet for identifying either manipulated/responding variables or for identifying independent/dependent variables.
- For topics 2 and 4 which have graphs that use multiple colors, I created black and white version options with distinctive lines and point shapes.
- Wing Length and Falling Speed of a Paper Copter (Motion Investigation, NGSS MS-PS2-2)
- Air, Water, Sand and Metal Samples of the Same Mass, Sitting In the Sun (Specific Heat Investigation, NGSS MS-PS3-4) Included color or black and white options with distinctive lines and point shapes.
- Shoe Size and Height (Data Analysis Activity NGSS SEP Analyzing and Interpreting data)
- Temperature of Hot Water in a Cup with Different Wraps (Thermal Insulators Investigation, NGSS MS-PS3-3) Included color or black and white options with distinctive lines and point shapes.
- Mass and Force of Impact (Motion Investigation, NGSS MS-PS2-2)
- Number of Wire Wraps and Magnetic Strength (Magnetic Force Investigation NGSS MS-PS2-3)
- Also included is a worksheet with a blank graph area so you can paste in your own graphs. PDF (2 options for identifying either manipulated/responding variables or for identifying independent/dependent variables)