Get your students to ask questions about plate movement AND engaged in finding the answers. Students work in groups in this collaborative investigative activity. Each student will become a "specialist" in a field (geology, oceanography, seismology, and volcanology) and research REAL data. When students analyze the combined data of geological features, they will determine the direction of plate movement at different boundaries.
Prior to this activity, students should be familiar with the geological features that form at different types of plate boundaries. This activity works best following the NGSS Sandwich Cookie Plate Tectonics Activity (available at Teacher on a Trip Storefront). Purchase both activities in a bundle and save!
- All student worksheets
- Developing driving questions & pre-lab
- Specialists data collection guides for each specialty
- Maps with plate boundaries for data collection
- Analysis questions
- Station cards for specialists
- Links to up-to-date data for specialists
- Claim, evidence, reasoning assessment
- Answer keys
Check out other NGSS aligned activities for your classroom here ---> Teacher on a Trip Storefront