A book with ten close reading activities focused on key events in September or famous figures that were either born or died in the month. Each activity has an informational text with comprehension and grammar questions followed by an extension task. The NO PREP reading comprehension activities are perfect for students in fifth grade or sixth grade. Students will learn about world history whilst developing their comprehension skills.
The book includes individual activities on:
- The Outbreak of World War 2 which began on the 1st September 1939
- VJ Day, which officially ended World War 2 on the 2nd September 1945
- The Treaty of Paris which brought to an end the American Revolutionary War on the 3rd September 1783
- Mother Teresa, who died on the 5th September 1997
- Ruby Bridges, who was born on the 8th September 1954
- The 9/11 Terrorist Attacks, which took place on the 11th September 2001
- Roald Dahl, who was born on the 13th September 1916
- Theodore Roosevelt, who became president on the 14th September 1901
- Augustus Caesar, who was born on the 23rd September 63 BC
- Serena Williams, who was born on the 26th September 1981
Included in this PDF printable resource:
- Ten informational texts
- Each with a comprehension activity with ten questions
- Each with grammar questions about the text
- Each with an extension writing activity
- Answer sheets for self-assessment or teacher use
- Ready-made Easel Activities perfect for distance learning
- A crossword puzzle to accompany the 9/11 activity
This resource is great for:
- In class learning
- Independent work
- Guided reading sessions
- Assessment practice
- Reading interventions
- Emergency sub plans
The activity requires NO PREP; it has a body of text that students need to read through thoroughly; then they can use the text to find the comprehension and grammar answers. All texts then have an extension activity for those fast finishers and answers, for teacher use, are on the final page of the document.
Time allowance for each activity:
5 minutes - read through the text individually.
40 minutes - answer questions using the text as guidance (including extension activity)
15 minutes - Teacher and students go through the text and answers.
Store: Creative Primary Literacy