Address a variety of learning styles with reading passages that also contain embedded video links! These passages are specifically designed to accompany my , but are versatile and useful in conjunction with many other resources. These pages are easy to print-and-go OR send to your students to view through Google Classroom. If you find that your textbook is too wordy, this resource will be perfect for you!
This download contains 9 one-page reading passages covering the major topics for the The American Revolution unit of U.S. History, listed below. Each page contains leveled text that targets a 7th-8th grade reading level.
- Mercantilism & the Great Awakening
- The French & Indian War (includes Proclamation of 1763)
- Taxation in the Colonies
- The Boston Massacre
- The Colonies Unite (includes Boston Tea Party, Intolerable Acts, 1st Continental Congress)
- The Battles of Lexington & Concord (includes 2nd Continental Congress)
- The Declaration of Independence (includes "Common Sense")
- Important Events of the American Revolution (includes Battle of Saratoga & Alliance with France; Winter at Valley Forge; Battle of Yorktown & Treaty of Paris)
- Other People of the Revolution
To enhance comprehension, students can follow the embedded links to watch an appropriate video carefully chosen to align with each topic. Each video is accessible through a clickable link (if viewing digitally) and a QR code (if using a printed copy). (All videos are publicly available on YouTube, published by reputable sources, and have been used in my own classroom. However, please screen prior to use with your students. I do not own rights to any of the videos.)
Please note that these readings are aligned strictly with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) for 8th Grade Social Studies. Well-rounded history instruction will most certainly require further student inquiry and discussion on the more complex topics and events.
Other reading passages like these are available for the following units: