A set of three puzzles that have students practice critical thinking skills and apply concepts related to Thermal Energy, and types of thermal energy transfer including conduction, convection, and radiation. Content and skills support NGSS MS-PS-3-4, MS-PS-3-3, and MS-PS1-4. These worksheets work well for independent practice, as stations, as homework, or as part of your emergency plans for substitute teachers or other last minute schedule changes.
- Conduction, Convection and Radiation Maze
- Supports NGSS MS-PS-3-3 Students will use background knowledge about different types of transfer of thermal energy to solve the maze (Conduction, Convection, and Radiation). *Note: Students need to know about the types of thermal energy transfer to design a device the minimizes thermal energy transfer to meet this standard.
- Sunny Day Hidden Message
- Supports NGSS MS-PS-1-4 and NGSS MS-PS-3-3 Students will use background knowledge about types of energy transfer and particle motion to answer the questions to solve the puzzle. Puzzle uses concepts such as conduction, convection, thermal conductor, thermal insulator, radiation, boiling/freeing points of water, and particle movement
- Cow Hidden Message
- Supports NGSS MS-PS-3-4. Students will read a graph about the amount of thermal energy added to four different types of materials to answer questions that require students to read the graph, describe the trends in the graph and use the graph to make predictions.
- Cover and TOU (2 pages)
- Teacher Notes (1 page)
- Conduction, Convection, and Radiation Maze and answer key (2 pages)
- Sunny Day Puzzle and answer key (2 pages)
- Cow Puzzle and answer key (2 pages)