A Long Walk to Water Novel Study Bundle
This bundle includes our 89 page Study Guide and Student Workbook/Shared Conversation Guide Both the Print and Teach and the Digital for Remote or Distance Learning Versions; Vocabulary Building Flashcards Sets 1, 2 and 3; the Vocabulary Bingo! cards to accompany the flashcards; the Assessment for chapters 1-5, 5-10, Midpoint (chapters 1-10), and chapters 11-18; Vocabulary Word Puzzles (and Doodles!) Sets 1 and 2; and the Unofficial Bookmarks.
Objectives: Students will:
1. Learn new language and use it when reading and writing;
2. Explain how the values and beliefs of particular characters are affected by historical and cultural settings;
3. Analyze linear plot development to determine if, and how, conflicts are resolved;
4. Analyze how the central characters' qualities influence the theme of a fictional work and resolution of the central conflict;
5. Analyze different forms of point of view, including limited versus omniscient, subjective versus objective;
6. Establish purposes for reading selected texts based upon own or others’ desired outcome to enhance comprehension.
7. Ask literal, interpretive, evaluative, and universal questions of text.
8. Reflect on understanding to monitor comprehension (e.g., summarizing and synthesizing; making textual, personal, and world connections; creating sensory images).
9. Make complex inferences about text and use textual evidence to support understanding.
10. Summarize, paraphrase, and synthesize texts in ways that maintain meaning and logical order within a text and across texts.
Teacher Prep Time: Variable depending on school/district resources for printing and binding.
Lesson Duration: Due to this being a novel study, this will vary according to how much time teachers are able to dedicate to reading the novel. If completed as a chapter per day: 25 minutes per day, 30 class periods.
Included in This Product:
1. Novel Study Guide/Student Work Book containing:
- Pre-reading research recommendations with KWL/NWL charts
- Pre-reading and during reading Key Vocabulary charts
- 18 different chapter “Questions to Consider” sections
- “Characters in Profile” character analysis sections
- 1 Creative Writing exercise
- Plot diagrams for each part of the book
- Research “mini-breaks” during reading
- Theme discussion webs
- Doodle art for diverse learners
- Original copyrighted artwork
- Sentence stems for differentiation in early sections
2. The Bookmarks to Accompany the novel
3. The Vocabulary Building Flashcards and Word Wall
4. Power Words Vocabulary Building Set 2 BINGO!
5. Each of the Assessments from our Assessment Bundle
6. Teacher notes for implementation with each section.
And remember, if you have purchased any of the individual products already, after purchasing the bundle you can get a refund for the purchase price of your previous, original purchase!
Aligned to the Newly Adopted 2017 TEK Standards (in effect Fall 2019): Strand 1, 110.6 (3) A, B, and C; 110.22 (3) A, B, and C; 110.23 (3) A, B, and C; and 110,24 (3) A, B, and C. Strand 3, 110.22, 110.23, and 110.24; Strand 6, 110.22, 110.23 and 110.24; Strand 7, 110.22, 110.23, and 110.24, all Strands inclusive. (New Grade 8 correlation: 8.2, B, D, E; 8.3C; 8.6a, B, C; 8.22A, B)
Aligned to CCSS: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RL.8.1, 8.2, 8.3, 8.4, 8.9, 8.10; CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.8.1B,8.3 (all), 8.4, 8.5, 8.7, 8.8, 8.9
Please note that while our previews, and the PDF, are in color, we have also test printed in black and white, with no loss in usability. So, although color is recommended, if costs for your school or district make this prohibitive, the guide is still fully accessible. Additionally, although we recommend binding the workbook (and using card stock for the cover and last page), this is also not required for success!
This lesson is appropriate for grades 6-9.
Please see the individual previews for the acknowledgement of various artists and designers whose products of services were used.
About our Exclusive Art: Original Pen and Ink Sketches appearing on the covers, on the last page of the table of contents, and on page 51 by Jeanne Balsam used by special permission, all rights reserved by the artist. The artwork cannot be reproduced in any other application. If you would like to view other work by her, please visit www.jeannebalsam.com.
Become a follower to receive updates about new products as we add them.
LICENSING TERMS: By purchasing this product, you own a license for one teacher only for personal use in your classroom. Licenses are non-transferable, meaning they cannot be passed from one teacher to another. No part of this resource is to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses.
COPYRIGHT TERMS: ©ELA in Middle School. Please note – all material included in this resource belongs to ELA in Middle School, except where indicated. By purchasing, you have a license to use the material, but you do not own the material. This resource, or any portion of this resource, may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives, unless the site is password protected and can only be accessed by —no other teachers or anyone else on the internet
Please let us know how well this assessment served you and your students. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact us through our blog, Wandering the Halls of Academia – Teaching and Living Today! Also, please leave meaningful feedback and reviews for this product so that other teachers can make informed choices about their purchase decisions. Your opinion carries WEIGHT!
Matthew and Suzanne
ELA in Middle School
1 Review Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Walk to Water
89 pages of great activities for the book study.