Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws were something I used to race through at the end of the year. I needed a way to make these topics come alive for my students. After we did this lesson in class this year, my students REALLY understood the impact of Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws.
In this lesson, students read a short background summary of both Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws (included in this purchase). I had mine read it in pairs. I've included 3 different activities for you to choose from.
1) Sorting Activity - students are given a baggie with cards that have pictures, primary source quotes and summaries of either Black Codes or Jim Crow laws. Students read through those cards and sort them according to if they believe the card represents a Black Code or a Jim Crow Law.
2) You post the cards around the room (numbers on the cards) that have primary source quotes, pictures or summaries on them. Students move around the room answering Jim Crow Law or black code on an answer sheet provided - they must JUSTIFY their answer. You could also use this set of cards in stations.
3) Version for Google Slides™ (Drag and drop)
Included in purchase:
- Teacher instructions
- Background summaries of Black Codes and Jim Crow Laws
- Sorting cards (18 total) - you cut these up and put them in baggies
- Cards with numbers (18 total) to be used for the gallery walk/station activity (same cards as the sort, but with numbers added)
- Recording sheet for students (You could always just use notebook paper)
- Link to the Google Slides™ version.
2 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
This resource was perfect for my Reconstruction unit. The students were engaged and the activity was thought provoking. Some students had difficulty differentiating but after discussions with partners, understood better. Thank you :)
The students came away enlightened