Identifying the differences between the worlds of the North and South is essential to understanding the rise of sectionalism that led to the Civil War. In this project-based learning activity, students examine life in either the North or the South by creating a newspaper that could have existed in that region prior to the Civil War.
They research four key areas of life in their assigned region:
They use their understanding of those topics to create articles, letters to the editor, political cartoons, obituaries, weather reports, Dear Abby letters, comics, advertisements, and classifieds.
Included with this product:
- Teacher guide
- Newspaper project directions with brief explanation of each requirement
- Research websites and questions for the regions
- Answer key to research questions
- Planning sheet for students to use to help them make sure they meet each requirement
- Templates for newspaper pieces
- Newspaper rubric
- Notes sheet for sharing with the other region
Store: Harper's History