Resource: Article, Assessments, Activities, Illustrations
The brief article explains the life of Marco Polo. Specifically, it presents a primary source from "The Travels of Marco Polo" to show his description of coal as a "burning stone" that was used widely in medieval China - which contributed to the fact that many Europeans viewed his book as a work of fiction. Activities and DBQ - Common Core-Aligned Assessments included.
- 2-Page Illustrated Article
- Multiple Choice / DBQ Short Answer Assessment + Answer Key
- Primary Source: - from "The Travels of Marco Polo"
- Common Core Aligned - DBQ Short Answer Assessment + Answer Key
- Scoring Rubric (allows students to grade each other's answers)
- Scaffolded Notes + Answer Key
- 'Historical Examination' Form
- Graphic Organizer: 'Four Takeaways'
- Crossword + Crossword Key
- '3-2-1' Reflective Writing Activity
- 'Support from Text' Guide
- No Prep
Created by Mr. Robert's History
California State History-Social Science Content Standard Addressed: 7.8.2
Common Core Standards:
RI.5.1, RI.6.1, RI.8.1, RI.9-10.1, W.5.2, W.5.4, W.5.9, W.5.10, W.6.2, W.6.4, W.6.9, W.6.10, W.7.2, W.7.4, W.7.9, W.7.10, W.8.2, W.8.4, W.8.9, W.8.10, W.9-10.2, W.9-10.4, W.9-10.9, W.9-10.10, CCRA.W.2, CCRA.W.4, CCRA.W.9, CCRA.W.10, RH.6-8.1, RH.6-8.2, RH.6-8.4, RH.6-8.5, RH.6-8.6, RH.6-8.8, RH.6-8.9, RH.6-8.10, WHST.6-8.4, WHST.6-8.9, WHST.6-8.10