In light of the epidemic and the amount of attention and misinformation being presented about HIPAA, I felt like it was necessary for me to ramp up my lesson on HIPAA and patient confidentiality. The goal of this lesson was to take a tedious topic like HIPAA and attempt to make it informative yet engaging.
There are five components within this unit:
· HIPAA Presentation (both as a PowerPoint or Google Slides presentation)- also included is an optional notes page for students to use while listening to the presentation (both as a printable and fillable PDF)
· A PHI Indicator worksheet (PDF- printable and fillable versions) *Answer Key included
· A “What Do You Know About HIPAA” worksheet (PDF- printable and fillable versions) *Answer Key included
· A “HIPAA Spot The Errors” worksheet (PDF- printable and fillable versions) *Answer Key Included
· A HIPAA Post-Exam (As a PDF- printable and fillable or as a Google Form Quiz) *Answer Key included
I typically start this unit with the "What Do You Know About HIPAA" worksheet which consists of a series of privacy-based scenarios where students must make an educated guess on whether the statement is allowed or not under HIPAA rules and regulations. I like using this as a hook to begin the unit and it also allows me to see the current knowledge base of the students.
The HIPAA Presentation is meant to provide the basic information students will need to get an idea of the overall concepts of HIPAA and includes the history as well as the main ideas. Mixed in the presentation are fun facts as well as celebrity HIPAA violation examples and simple scenarios. Included as an option is a notes page where students will fill in the blanks while you present the information. I do this to allow less time for writing and more time for listening.
In the middle of the presentation, I have students complete the PHI indicators worksheet. Students will match icons with one of the 18 PHI indicators they find after researching online. These indicators are important in helping students identify when health information becomes private.
Instead of just reading scenarios, the "Spot the Errors" worksheet was designed for students to visually recognize times when hospital workers were in violation of HIPAA. Think "Where's Waldo" but with HIPAA violations!
The HIPAA post-exam allows students to take the information they learned and show comprehension. This 13 multiple choice test is great if you need proof of understanding for your students.
Also included is a detailed written Tips and Guide as well as video instructions for all of the items.
*All items have electronic/distance learning options!
File TypePPT/Google Forms/PDF/Google Slides
InstructionsWritten and Video Instructions Included