This product takes the World War 2 novel "Friend or Foe" by Michael Morpurgo, and working through each chapter, sets a range of comprehension questions to explore the novel and develop the reading skills of students. The product can be used daily with the text (not included in the product) and will last for five school weeks. For more intense work, teachers can decide on the pace of the activity linked to the needs of their students.
This resources includes:
- 25 Question sets designed to be used daily for five weeks ranging between 8 and 11 questions each day (or less if a more focused and intense programme is required for reading development)
- Answer key for each of the questions.
The resource uses a range of questions styles to develop the eight key reading skills of:
- Vocabulary knowledge
- Prediction using the text cues to support responses
- Explanation of what is happening within the text and why
- Inference - where the answer is not specific but can be gained by looking deeper into the authorial intent and bringing own knowledge to the text
- Sequencing events within the text in the correct order
- Retrieving facts, ideas and responses directly from the text (using page references to support identification)
- Summarizing what has been read within a given section or chapter.
Each question has the abbreviation of the question type in brackets to show the coverage and balance between all the reading skills.
We developed this to support reading skills whilst also learning about World War 2 in our history study unit. The student booklet was a particularly useful innovation as it saved us time in preparation - with one booklet prepared for each student at the beginning of the unit, and then was used each day for five weeks, with student responses placed in their reading journal.
The answer key ensures that teachers can assess the learning quickly and accurately either on a 1:1 with the student or as a whole class.
We hope that your students enjoy both the book and these resources as they continue their reading development.
Thank you for visiting our store.