Check out Geography & Math Made Easy for more resources.
This is a conceptual thinking lesson implemented to encourage students to develop their higher-level thinking skill sets. Conceptual teaching is based upon taking a concept and going beyond the basic facts to develop a true understanding. Conceptual thinking may be challenging for some students; therefore, as the instructor you may need to provide individual guidance, whether students are working individually or in teams. Learners will strengthen their conceptual thinking skills the more they are encouraged to use this skill. With this lesson, I suggest students to work in teams so they can learn from one another.
• Articles discussing Republic vs. Democracy (Three are included in PDF form with purchase of this lesson plan. See the downloaded zip file.)
• T-chart (printable included)
• Quotes for display (printable included) —Note: You may choose other ways to display.
• Writing tools (pen or pencil)
• Notebook paper
• Grading rubric
• Teacher-created poll using one of the suggested sites or a poll box. See Closure section.
• Approved electronic devices for the poll. Each team will need access.
• Optional: Second poll for follow-up after presentations/arguments.