This resource truly has everything you need to set up and run Spelling Bee across your school from Kindergarten to 5th Grade (and beyond as we have also included an extension pack for able spellers). Over
Once purchased and downloaded, you will see in the ZIP file a folder for each grade. Within the folder, every teacher can then access a range of resources:
- Full instructions on how to use the resources to start Spelling Bee with their class
- Weekly Spelling Lists (between 35 and 37 weeks) of words grouped into Spelling Patterns and linked to the requirements of the curriculum
- Wild Card certificates
- Assessments forms to support Spelling Bee Challenge
Grades 2, 3, 4 and 5 also include:
- PowerPoint presentations of 100 slides each to support an interactive Spelling Bee Challenge
- Classroom posters for each week listing the words being studied
- Homework slips to give to each child each week to learn the spellings
As you will see from the preview, everything has been planned for and produced. Instructions are also included as to how you can run your own Spelling Bee up to 6 times a year.
The resources for each grade will last for the whole year. With between 35 and 37 word lists per grade per year, the children quickly develop a wide range of spelling skills, vocabulary and confidence in their spellings. With classroom environment and homework also taken care of, the impact can be immediately seen in the improvement of Spelling standards across the school. We have now been using our scheme across the school for the past four years and the children love it as much now as when it was first introduced.
As we developed our own Spelling Bee for Grades K - 5 four years ago (due to not being able to find anything on the market to accurately support our learners) we quickly found that the Spelling skills of our children were challenged and rapidly improved.
Their thirst for the Spelling Bee challenge encouraged them to learn words ahead of the weeks being studied, our by sending our resources home to all parents each year, parents soon got on board and started supporting their children at home too.
Extension List included for more able spellers
The outcome of this improvement was a need for an additional list of more complex words for the children to learn, should they be confident and prove that they know the words within their own year group lists. This is included in the download as a WORD document.
Our lists have been devised by reviewing curriculum needs, skills and outcomes, and therefore we did not want to give a 4th grader a 5th graders list, as this would be part of the curriculum when they were in 5th grade. As a result, we came together to produce a stand alone "Extension" list which children from Grades 3 and up can use to further develop and enhance their spelling skills, with spoiling the Spelling Bee experience the following academic year.
It links closely with the packs available from our store:
- Covers 34 weeks with the minimum of 6 words each week - maximum 8.
- Overview pattern is listed, where appropriate, at the top of each week
- Can be used easily within the existing Spelling Bee of your grade
- Can be used in the Spelling Bee assessments to avoid a tie break situation
We have used this within the grades listed above for the past two years and it has certainly strengthened the spellings in those grades. We hope that you enjoy our resources.
Visit our store for more great products