In order to ensure survival, colonists had to solve a variety of problems. This PBL will immerse you in the lives of struggles of colonists trying to make a new life in North America. You will be asked to use research, critical thinking, and problem solving skills to resolve issues and help your colony survive and prosper.
This PBL will encompass the following activities:
• Research on an British colony from the 1600 and 1700’s
• Expository/Informational essay based on research
• Journal from perspective of a colonist
• Construction of materials that represent 5 major problems colonists faced in the new world (government, relations with Native Americans, food, shelter, and supplies)
• Final presentation to class of all components
Check out Teaching History Creatively for more resources