The American Revolutionary War didn’t just highlight the hypocrisy of those American leaders (such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson) who fought for their own freedom while enslaving others. It also presented enslaved African-Americans with a number of challenges and opportunities for freedom for themselves. Lord Dunmore’s Proclamation, General Clinton’s standing orders, and various colonial recruitment efforts gave slaves several options – none without their risks – to pursue release their from bondage either with the Americans or the British.
In this two day mini-unit, students will learn about the unique experience of African-Americans in the Revolutionary War, for both those on the American and British side. Ultimately, African-Americans chose the side that they believed offered the better chance at freedom, a difficult choice that led to varied results by war’s end. Students will read an informative and interesting chapter from my textbook “We Take Nothing by Conquest", answer an inquiry based study guide to focus their attention on the main points and supporting details, and finish the unit by playing a fun and competitive game that will reinforce their learning.
* 5 pages of informative and interesting text (the chapter African-Americans in the Revolutionary War from my textbook “We Take Nothing by Conquest”);
* an inquiry based study guide for the chapter to focus students on the main points and supporting details;
* an 18 slide PowerPoint with answers to the study guide for review, and including pictures and maps to stimulate discussion and enhance understanding;
* an 8 page Teacher’s Guide which provides day-by-day and step-by-step instructions how to use all of the materials;
* a fun and educational board game complete with game board, playing cards, and instructions;
* a 10 multiple choice question unit quiz to assess student learning.
Answer keys for the study guide and unit quiz are included in the Teacher’s Guide. Materials are provided as word documents and PDFs in one zip file.
Created by Cliff Baker - Ye Olde History Emporium