This lesson is the summative assessment for my Westward Expansion Unit.
What were the positive and negative effects of manifest destiny?
: During today’s class you will work to decide if it was a good idea for Americans to expand westward. Your goal for today is to examine the evidence, create a claim, present, and defend that claim to one of your peers.
- Independently, read the documentation provided to you. Find five pieces of evidence from the text which support your side.
- The teacher will pair you with one of your peers that has the opposite position
- The FOR side makes their claim.
- The AGAINST side makes their claim
- The pair comes to a consensus, class votes.
- Everyone CAN ABANDON their positions. Answer the lesson question based on your OWN opinion.
If you liked this lesson, please check out more units at Mr. Goff's Gift Shop.