Around the Town!
This resource includes 55 Common Core 5th-grade math word problems. Click on the thumbnail for the list of standards.
Around the Town is a great activity to do throughout the school year. It is also an excellent activity to help your students prepare for standardize testing.
Your students will have so much fun going around the town and solving word problems. Each word problem is missing information. Students find the missing information on the 9 informational sheets for each location in town. Some word problems will tell students where to go in town. In other problems, students will need to figure out the location based on the information given in the word problem. Around the Town is a great activity to use throughout the school year.
The answer key will help you decide on questions to assign for the lessons. For each word problem, the answer keys provide the location of the missing information as well as the steps needed to solve the problem. The students solve the word problems in random order. They will like the freedom to walk around the town deciding which location to go to next.
Included in this product: Minimal preparation is needed for this activity.
9 locations (buildings) and 9 informational sheets (one for each location) Comes in color and black/white.
- Coffee Shop
- Pet Shop
- Sporting Goods Store
- Gas Station
- Ice Cream Shop
- Police Station
- Fire Station
- Movie Theater
- Candy Store
- 55 word problems
- An additional fun idea on how to keep your students motivated while solving the word problems
- Answer Keys
- Directions and suggestions on how to display the buildings and informational sheets
- Suggestions on how to complete the activity with your class
Here are some sample problems.
- Mason and Matt are twins. Mason works part-time at the Sporting Goods Store, and Matt works part-time at the Gas Station. On Monday, Mason worked 8 hours, and Matt worked 6 hours. Which twin made more money? (The students go to the Sporting Goods Store and Gas Station to find out how much money the twins make per hour.)
- Officer Harrison and Duke (the K9) love to train together. How many hours do Officer Harrison and Duke train in 2 weeks? (The students go to the Police Station to find the number of hours Officer Harrison and Duke train in one week.)
- Charlie works at the Pet Shop. Help Charlie select the best cage for each kind of snake by ordering the lengths of the snakes from shortest to longest. (The students go to the Pet Shop to find the lengths of the snakes.)
I hope your students have a fun time going around the town.
Visit my store, MathCritters, for more great math games, activities, and worksheets.