This product was designed to help introduce 5 themes of imperialism, especially in relation to the Age of Exploration and the Colonization of the Americas.
This product includes the following:
- ⭐Google Slides friendly version for digital learning!⭐
- Can be adapted into a Gallery Walk Activity!
- Hyperlinks, QR codes, audio instructions, and other helpful media.
- Review of the 3 G's of Exploration & Colonialism (God, Gold, & Glory.)
- Notes for the teacher on each slide.
- Editable text and graphics for you to customize.
- Link to the original source/text.
- A class analysis activity to introduce the themes.
- A follow-up chart activity to practice recognizing the 5 motivations for imperialism in action across the world - linked to CCSS!
- A writing prompt linked to CCSS for student opinion and research.
- ⭐Answer Keys Provided!⭐
- References & Sources listed.
The source material for this lesson, the book "An ABC for baby Patriots" was published in 1899, and therefore shows racist imagery that is offensive, especially offensive to people of color.
Take time to speak with your students BEFORE you begin this lesson about what is expected of them and how they can interpret these images ...
(both from our current/modern point of view and as historians.)
Address what language is and is not appropriate in your classroom when discussing topics which include racism, ableism, sexism, ageism, etc.
CLICK THIS LINK FOR HELP ON DISCUSSING TOPICS WHICH INCLUDE RACISM, SEXISM, ETC. https://www.ferris.edu/HTMLS/news/jimcrow/antiblack/
(for example, try using the term “enslaved peoples” instead of “slaves,” as it places responsibility on those who committed the enslavement and returns humanity to those who were oppressed.)