African Empires 1500 - 1900 Digital (and Print) Notebook - Google Drive - Songhai, Ashanti, Ethiopia, Kongo, Zulu
This notebook activity has a variety of engaging activities for students to learn more about African Empires, focusing on political, economic, and religious systems. Plus, sprinkle in a little art history to make this lesson even more in-depth and fun! This is an excellent addition to your unit on Africa, imperialism, or 1500-1900 Asia. This resource also works great as a backup Sub lesson plan.
WHAT'S INCLUDED IN THIS PURCHASE? ⇣⇣⇣⇣⇣
- Geography of Africa 500 BCE - 1500 CE (contextualization)
- Overview and video on the Kingdom of Songhai
- Website search on the Ashanti Empire & art history analysis on the Golden Stool
- Graph, art, and text analysis of Ethiopia
- Overview and primary source image analysis on the Kingdom of the Kongo
- Website search on the Zulu
- Final report - put it all together writing activity (compare and contrast the political, economic, and religious systems in African societies)
- Bonus material: the history of coffee
- Teacher Answer Key (Not included in preview)
There are many ways you can use this resource:
- Use this after a lesson on African Empires to reinforce learning
- Use this resource as your primary lesson on African Empires
- Complete this together as a class (recommended)
- Assign as individual work
- Assign as partner/group work
When I use notebook activities in my class, I like to go through the readings, videos, and activities together as a class. Why?
- ✓ Make sure everyone is staying on track
- ✓ Get the entire class to participate in the lesson
- ✓ Allows students to answer the questions and immediately review them as a class to self-check for progress learning
- ✓ Less grading for me
- I usually give a completion grade for the portion we do together as a class.
- The writing portion at the end I have students complete independently, either at the end of class or as homework. This is the only part I grade, while the rest is a completion grade.
If you want an even more in-depth look at this product, please check out the Preview. I have included pictures of most pages you will get with this purchase.
Happy teaching! :)
Questions? Typos? Comments? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I love seeing my resources being used in classrooms. If you post about it on social media, don't forget to tag me on Instagram @thehistoryllama.