The best way for students to learn new concepts is always through experience. So what better way for first graders to learn economics concepts than by having your own class store? Plus this project is super fun... Students get to make products, offer services, earn money and go shopping, and run their own store fronts!
This pack can be used in versatile ways - you can start with brainstorming for the class store and introduce concepts as they are needed if you want to take the PBL route, or you can use the slides and activities to teach the vocabulary and concepts first, then use the class store as a culminating project.
Included in this unit:
- Teacher Instructions
- Economics reading list
- Economics vocabulary and discussion slides
- Economics concepts worksheets and tasks
- Parent donation letter, invitation letter, and editable templates
- Teacher project checklist
- Student/class project checklist
- Brainstorming pages
- Recording sheets for store info, student jobs, items and prices
- Making change mat, practice slides, and differentiated practice sheets
- Price tags - color and B/W
- Pretend bills and coins - color and B/W
- Cashier, Bags, and Sale signs, Sign templates
- Student Reflection Page
- Standards-based assessment
- Student rubric for self-assessment
- Teacher rubric
Don't forget to leave feedback and let me know how this project worked for your class!