Check out Geography & Math Made Easy for more resources.
Hitler kept his secret of his war against the Jews throughout the two weeks of the Olympics using propaganda to show the world how well Germany was doing; the world, however, had no idea was in store for Germany and the Jews who lived within its borders.
• Students will understand the concept of propaganda and how it was used during the Olympics in 1936
by the Nazi regime. (Bloom’s Taxonomy: Understand)
• Students will understand the events that led up to the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. (Bloom’s: Understand)
• Students will recognize the governmental workings to boycott Jews from the Olympics. (Bloom’s: Understand)
• Students will investigate, identify, and present today’s propaganda techniques throughout the world in
Europe, Asia, Africa, North America and South American. (Bloom’s: Understand and Create)
• Students will critique and defend their work as propaganda. (Bloom’s: Evaluate)
• Students will judge whether they agree with statements using the Before & After technique. (Blooms: Evaluate)
• Lesson Teaser/Bump: Hitler’s Olympics PowerPoint
• Dice: One per group
• Article: History Behind Hitler’s Olympics (Student Group Reading Activity)
• Group Project Activity Instruction
• Mustache art (For Fun)
• Examples of Government Propaganda with teacher guides.
• Before & After: Agree or Disagree Warm-up and Follow-up Activity
• Exit Cards
• Grading Rubric (Included)