This product has been designed to support our students use better vocabulary in their writing. We have been encouraging our students to remove informal language from their formal writing activities and genres and have been introducing formal language within our writing sessions.
This product makes that learning a little more fun in the form of the game of Snap! We have produced 56 language cards for informal words, and add their formal alternatives. We have then produced two of each (to make the game more action-packed) provided each player with 112 cards. An answer key is also included to support teachers identify the correct cards which match.
The aim of the game is simple:
1) Print, cut out and laminate (plasticise) the cards to make them last for many years to come.
2) Sort the cards into a formal pile of words and an informal pile of words - the cards a color coded to make this easy, but are also labelled too to reinforce the type of word it is
3) Two players can then play.
4) Player one turns over their first card and reads the word.
5) Player two then turns their first card over. If the words match for formal and informal, then the first player to shout "Snap!" wins the piles of cards - no matter how many there are.
6) The winner of the game is the first to win all cards, or until a player concedes!
The game is a great reinforcement activity for the students learning a range of new words to support their formal writing activities.
The cards can also be used as flashcards, with the teacher holding up an informal vocabulary card and the students recording on "Show me" whiteboards the formal word alternative, or simply the first to shout out a correct answer!
There are more ways to use these cards
- Find your partner - give out the cards and the formal and informal word cards must find each other
- Fishes - jumble the cards face down on the ground, students to try and find the pairs by turning two cards over at once - a great memory game
- Literacy Centers
- Make more than one set and have a championship knockout Snap! Challenge
Along with this game, we have also included a useful resource we devised for our students of pairs of formal and informal words. We called it a "Vocabulary Improvement Checker" which allows the students to check a word they are using and replace it with a more formal version. It has supported greater independence in writing and can be sent home for home learning, as well as developing greater formal vocabulary.
Both of these resources are included in this product and have really supported our students in developing their formal and informal vocabulary.
Thank you for visiting our store.