This lesson and supporting resources provide an extremely detailed account of how modern films make use of Foley sound Design and Sound FXs.
The lesson presentation covers these key areas in detail;
- On location sound recording in film production
- Recording dialogue when on location
- What is ADR in films (with class task/exercise)
- Why use ARD in film production
- Post-production sound FXs (Ambience, Library Sounds and Foley)
- Film Ambience
- Film Library Sounds
- Film Foley Sound FXs
- 3 Types of Foley Sounds
- Brief History of Foley in films
- Jack Foley – Sound Designer
- Back of the Mike Documentary (with class task/exercise)
- Direct to Picture Sound
- Sound Mixers/Editors
- Sound Spotting Session
- Modern Foley and Sound FXs
All material, presentations and worksheets, within this resource has been recently updated and now includes links to online 'Distance Learning' versions through Google Slides™. This allowing extra flexibility and continued support if students are learning and engaging from outside the classroom at home.
The presentation comes with convenient embedded YouTube video examples, this aiding learning and ensuring a very interactive lesson that engages with learners throughout.
This resource also comes with 2 separate worksheet tasks that can be completed as homework or in-class projects. One of these is directly linked to the lesson presentation, thus allowing learners to follow along during the lesson, but also providing greater engagement. This classroom task comes in a “No Style”, black and white print out or an attractive, “Styled” version.
In this package:
- PRESENTATION – Foley and Sound FXs in Films (.pdf High quality)
- PRESENTATION – Foley and Sound FXs in Films (.pdf Compressed)
- PRESENTATION – Foley and Sound FXs in Films (.pptx PowerPoint)
- VIDEO – Revision video of presentation to aid learning (.mp4 file)
- GOOGLE SLIDES™ - Resource sheet with links to Digital Learning version of material (.pdf)
- WORKSHEET – Class Task (Linked with Presentation) (.pdf Plain - Not Styled)
- WORKSHEET – Class Task (Linked with Presentation) (.pdf Plain - STYLED)
- HOMEWORK – Class Task- Important Works to Remember (.pdf Plain - Not Styled)
- ANSWERS – Homework- Important Works to Remember (.pdf Plain - Not Styled)
WARNING – Before you buy this resource PLEASE READ!
Some of the music and video game examples and embedded YouTube videos may not be suitable for learners of all ages. It is the teacher/lecturer's responsibility to monitor and check before engaging with learners. We have tried to ensure that music examples are suitable for all classrooms, but this really depends on the learning environment and age range of your learners. Thank you for understanding!